Sunday, October 2, 2011

Gathering Israel

I didn't know what to do this week for a picture so I did what we all do when all else fails: I googled. As I was looking through the many pictures of Christ, and many pictures of people that were clearly not Christ, I found this painting by Simon Dewey. It's called "The Lord is My Shepherd". When I saw this picture it made me think of how we are Christ's flock and that He watches over and protects us. I also thought about the scattering of Israel and how there are so many people in Christ's flock that are lost. John 10:16 says, "And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd." Last Sunday I received my Patriarchal Blessing and this weekend was General Conference so I've been hearing a lot about the Gathering of Israel. In my Patriarchal Blessing I am told that I am of the tribe of Ephraim and that with this heritage comes the responsibility in the gathering of Israel. In General Conference I felt I was hearing a lot about missionary work and how it's important that we help bring those sheep back into the fold. I may or may not serve a mission, at this point in time I most likely won't, but whether I do or not, I still have a mission on this earth to help seek out those who are lost and give them a lending hand. I think one way I can do that right now is by talking with Taylor and Aubree. Taylor has had all of the discussions and wants to be baptized but her parents do not approve at all. I'm sure this is very hard for her so I feel that maybe part of my mission there is simply to be there for her and a support to her for when she needs it. Aubree is reading the Book of Mormon and is thinking of taking the discussions soon which I am so excited about! I've always thought that Aubree would want to be baptized into the Church someday; she just seemed like that kind of person. By sharing my testimony with her and answering any questions she may have, I can be a missionary to her. "But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." -Matthew 10:6. Again, it is written that we are supposed to seek out the lost sheep.
As I mentioned above, this weekend was the 181st Semi-Annual General Conference. Throughout it, I felt missionary work was a recurring theme. Elder L. Whitney Clayton said, "our work has no boundaries." A bold and true statement; missionary work is being spread all across the globe and those sheep that are lost are being gathered. What a hopeful and joyful statement, that many people will be able to hear the gospel and come unto Christ. Elder Jose L. Alonso expressed the importance of seeking out the one and bringing them back. I loved that he added that we cannot delay in seeking them because if we do, they could be lost forever. Our dispensation has a great duty to fulfill, but we were also chosen to fulfill this because our Father in Heaven and Elder Brother has faith in us that we can do this. Now we must have this faith in ourselves. President Uchtdorf said to never wonder if the Lord has forgotten us; He never has and He never will. Not only has the Lord never forgotten us, He also has never forgotten the lost sheep. He loves those people as much as He loves us. He wants them back into His fold and we are the ones that can do that. It is our duty and responsibility to find those people. Elder Ian S. Arden gave one of my favorite talks of Conference this weekend. He didn't necessarily talk about missionary work but it can be applied to missionary work. Elder Arden expressed the importance of using our time wisely and that we will have to give an account of how we used our time. I truly believe a great way for us to use our time is by doing missionary work and serving in the Church. By doing this, we can help the Church grow and seek out those that are lost. Elder LeGrand R. Curtis Jr. also discussed the importance of rescuing the less active members of the Church. Missionary work is not always about finding those who have never been taught the gospel before. It is also about rescuing those who have been part of the Church but have fallen away for whatever reason. I remember in my home ward that the importance of rescuing the less active was stressed greatly. Elder L. Tom Perry talked about how we can share who we are and by that, many people may come to know Christ. We can share who we are and what the Church is about by simply being an example to others. Matthew 5:16 says, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." If we are living worthily, we have the Light of Christ in us. Therefore, by simply doing what we're supposed to, the Light of Christ can be shown unto all men. It is important for us to be doing what we're supposed to not only for our benefit, but also for the benefit of others. To add to this, 1 Timothy 4:12 says, "Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity." There are so many things we can do to be an example of a follower of Christ. I strive each and every day to do what I am supposed to. I am by doing that I am being an example of the believers in all of those things.
I know this post was kind of everywhere and I'm not very good at organizing it, but these are my thoughts. I know it is so important for us to seek out those lost sheep. The Lord loves us and He loves those lost sheep and wants them to have what we have. Shouldn't that be enough for us to seek them out? The knowledge and happiness we have and the want to share that? I am so grateful for this gospel and all that it does for me. I'm grateful for those missionaries that sought out my ancestors and brought them to the knowledge of the gospel. I am going to "try a little harder to be a little better" so that I can be an example of the believers and bring the lost sheep back into the fold of Christ, our Lord and Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment