Sunday, October 23, 2011

Like a Lost Lamb

This picture is called "The Lost Lamb" by Del Parson. The reason why I chose this picture for today is because this past week I felt a little bit like a lost lamb. The past few weeks I've been wondering if I would be able to get into the Business program and if I didn't, what should I do? I've been enjoying Statistics this semester and I liked it in high school so I thought it would be a good alternative. As the weeks went on I really started wondering if I would be able to get into the program. A couple of weeks ago at the Major Fair I went to both the Business: Finance and Statistics booths. After talking to the girl at the Finance booth and seeing that I have to take more Econ classes I started feeling like I didn't want to go down that path anymore so I starting looking into Stats a little more. Then came last week...one of the worst weeks ever. I had 2 mid-terms, a mid-term paper, and a final all in the same week. I also had meetings, dumb Econ homework, cleaning checks, and roving. To top it all off I was sick all week. Not my kind of week...Anyways, on Monday I took the Excel final and I failed the test...which also meant I failed the class. I was SO upset and so close to tears. If I hadn't had to go to class, I probably would've cried for reals. So failing that combined with Econ (which I'm thinking I'm not going to do well in) I really started doubting going into the Business program. All week I prayed about if I should switch to Statistics or not. And all week I still wasn't sure. I didn't feel like I was getting an answer. On Tuesday, the professor giving the devotional discussed his career path and how he discovered that it was okay to be rejected from medical schools and go into another field. From that I started to think that switching to Statistics wouldn't be bad but I still wasn't sure. Then one day in New Testament class this week we were discussing the Canaanite woman. Here's the story: Matthew 15:22-28 "And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. (1) But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. (2) But he answered and, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs. And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table. (3) Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is they faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour." After this story we discussed Elder Scott's talk where he said there are three kinds of answers to prayers: (1) silence (2) no (3) yes. I had heard about this last year in my Book of Mormon class but had forgotten it. This is what I needed to hear to remind me that oftentimes I'm going to get silence as an answer to my prayers. That's okay because it means that the Lord trusts me enough to make my own decision. If that decision isn't right then He will send me a warning sign before I go too far down the wrong path. With that said, I have dropped taking my Powerpoint class because it's not applicable anymore and I am switching to Statistics! I feel this is a good path for me to go, even if I do get called 'boring' for it ;) Along with switching my major I feel I will be able to handle this major and working as an RA at the same time so I am most likely going to be an RA here in Wyview again next year! And Chalese is probably going to do it too so that will be fun! Yay! Last week was a crazy, hard week and I definitely felt like a lost lamb. But now I don't feel that way so much anymore. I have direction again. And hopefully this will be the last time I change my major! I don't think I can afford to change it again and I don't know what I would do anyways. I am grateful for prayer and the answers that I do get, even if they aren't what I was expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment